November 21st, 2013
We’re very happy to share information about a new daily, non-stop flight to our beautiful Antigua. American Airlines non-stop service from New York’s JFK begins today and will have you relaxing on our best beach by a mile at lunchtime. Flight number AA978 departs JFK at 7:15 am and arrives here at V.C. Bird International Airport (ANU) at 12:30 pm. The return flight, still AA978, departs ANU at 1:30 pm and arrives at JFK at 5:25 pm. This daily non-stop will continue until March 31, 2014, so plan your Winter Escape now and you’ll be sipping our Wadadli Cuddle on the beach before you know it.
November 15th, 2013
Spend the Holidays and ring in the New Year in white sand instead of snow. Book with us by November 22, 2013 and you’ll save 60% on all-inclusive rates starting at US$98 per person, per night, double occupancy for travel December 21-February 15, 2014. We have a full schedule of Christmas and New Year’s activities and celebrations from choirs, live bands and beach bonfires to Santa and an “Animalistic” New Year’s Eve party that welcomes in 2014. Make you winter escape and we’ll see you on the beach!
August 30th, 2013
Photographer Abena Barnes believes the popularity of photos from phones and other devices we use to document from moment to moment has created more of an awareness and appreciation of beautiful images. She has even had clients ask for photos specifically to post on their Facebook profile.
It can be challenging working so closely with new people every day, but Abena is very much a people person a trait that puts her clients at ease no matter what kind of wedding day or other butterflies may be on the scene.
One of her most challenging photo shoots was a wedding. After the ceremony the couple wanted to pose at water’s edge, a pretty popular setting for destination weddings pictures. But this time out an uncharacteristically large wave came in, soaking the newlyweds. Of course Abena got the shot and luckily the couple took it in stride and enjoyed the moment. According to Abena this was before “trash the dress” became popular and she says now you can’t keep couples from diving in!
What is it about weddings parties and water? Another couple – and their whole wedding party – made an unplanned jump into the resort pool. Again Abena got the shot remind us you have to keep an open mind as well as open eyes, anything can happen so you have to be in the moment and ready to get the shot.
With Antigua being such a popular beach vacation destination, Abena loves getting to work with people from all around the world. She has a fondness for Scottsmen, after one particular wedding. Scotts, kilts, full moons. You get the picture. She did!
For couples planning their destination wedding, Abena has three tips to make sure they get their perfect wedding album.
- For a warm weather, beach destination wedding Abena advises the wedding party to be very careful of exposure to the sun prior to the ceremony so there are no nasty sunburns or tell-tale bathing suit marks (even for a graphic artist like Abena, there is only so much help you can give a photo).
- Abena says couples need to relax and leave everything to the photographer. Let your photographer worry about the when, where and how of getting the shots. The best pictures are of everyone just enjoying the moment.
- The wedding album should tell a story and should say we had a wonderful time at our wedding. And while Abena says she tries to mix it up she recommends that couples tell their photographer what kind of pictures they like. Whether it’s more traditional posed portraits, or more spontaneous and natural, even fashion inclusive. No matter what, tell the photographer to ensure your album will be one you’ll treasure.
May 6th, 2013
Kids have a lot to say and we’re going to make writing some of it down fun with our Jolly Kidz Contest. We’re inviting all Primary School children in Antigua, grades 4 through 6, to tell us in an essay what makes their family special. We’re really looking forward to hearing from lots of children, and we know that we’re going to learn a lot from them. The student who writes our favorite essay will receive an all-inclusive two-night stay at Jolly Beach Resort & Spa for a family of four. Entries will be accepted until May 15th and must include the student’s first-name only along with their parent’s full contact details and a family photo. Send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Jolly Beach Resort & Spa, P O Box W2009, Bolans Village, St. Mary’s Parish, ANTIGUA, with the subject line Jolly Kidz Contest. In addition to celebrating families this contest will also spotlight the educators who play such an important role shaping their students’ minds. The teacher whose student claims the top prize will receive a Day Pass for two, and the winning student’s school principal will enjoy a complimentary dinner for two.
April 9th, 2013
A signature Jolly Beach Resort & Spa Mark Brown tropical wedding all ready for your ceremony on the beach.
Our award winning wedding planner, Beverly King, has had plenty of practice. She says she “stopped counting” when she hit a thousand ceremonies and is a source to be trusted when it comes to wedding advice and we’ve got her top ten tips for couples planning a destination wedding.
- Be the Early-Bird. Make sure you book early as everything is subject to availability, and your preferred date may be taken by someone else.
- Learn from the scouts; be prepared. Find out what documentation is required for the specified country and the length of time you as a couple need to be there before they can wed. Legal requirements vary worldwide. In Antigua it is extremely easy. We have a no residency policy e.g. you can go to the Legal Office at 9am and be married by 4:30pm the same day. On arrival to the resort you have an appointment to meet with the Wedding Co-coordinator where all final plans are made for your special occasion and the legal forms are filled out for the Registrar and Legal Office.
- Dress to chill – your wedding attire should be cool and light coloured, nobody wants to see the bride and groom sweating down the aisle.
- Don’t burn – a strapless wedding dress does not look good with a sunburnt back, and a suit doesn’t go particularly well with a lobster red face.
- Don’t forget – who’s got the rings? Tie them to something immovable, like the best man.
- Bless ‘em – blessings are available at Jolly Beach.
- Think twice – always request a copy of the marriage certificate before leaving the resort.
- Believe – trust your wedding co-ordinator; she is there to do the thinking for you.
- Family ties – Jolly Beach has family and friend deals available.
- Smile! – you’re saving upwards of $20,000* over a traditional wedding, so you can splurge on extras like flight upgrades and champagne.
* TheKnot.com and WeddingChannel.com’s annual Real Weddings Study revealed that the average wedding budget not counting the honeymoon was $28,427 in 2012.
Hertia and John dance together on the beach after renewing their wedding vows on the beach at Jolly Beach Resort & Spa.
- Paul and Pollyanna only have eyes for each other as they say their wedding vows in front of family and friends at Jolly Beach Resort & Spa.
March 28th, 2013
It’s easier than ever to find a flight to Antigua and our Best Beach by a Mile. Here is list of airline schedule information for April 2013 into V.C. Bird International Airport (ANU). And you can find detailed flight information on the Antigua Hotels & Tourist Association website.
- American (AA) operates daily from Miami (MIA)and operates four (4) times weekly from New York (JFK) (Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday).
- Air Canada (AC) operates from Toronto(YYZ)on Thursday(04 Apr only), Saturday and Sunday and operates one (1) flight from Montreal (YUL) on Sunday (07 Apr Only).
- British Airways (BA) operates five (5) times weekly from London(LGW). No operations on Monday and Thursday
- Caribbean Airlines (BW) operates twice weekly to Kingston(KIN) on Friday & Sunday
- Virgin Atlantic (VS) operates direct flights from London (LGW) on Saturdays, via Barbados(BGI) on Wednesday and via St. Lucia(UVF) on Friday.
- WestJet (WS) operates two (2) flights weekly from Toronto (YYZ) on Sundays and Wednesdays.
- United (UA) operates daily from Newark (EWR) and two (2) flights on Saturday and Sunday.
- US Airways(US) operates one (1) flight weekly from Charlotte (CLT) on Saturdays.
- Condor (DE) operates one (1) flight weekly from Frankfurt (FRA) on Sundays.
- Canjet (CK) operates one (1) flight from Montreal (YUL) on Sunday (07 Apr only).
- Blue Panorama (BV) operates one (1) flight weekly from Malspensa (MXP) on Sundays.
- Air Transat (TS) will operate one (1) flight weekly from YYZ on Saturdays until 20 Apr.
- Delta will not operate during the month of April.
See you on the beach!
March 27th, 2013
The newest addition to our 2013 “Get Into the Beach of It” program launches this Saturday morning at 7:00 a.m. Yes, it’s early but its breakfast, our new “Healthy Choice” continental breakfast option that will be served in the Utsav Restaurant.
The buffet-style “Healthy Choice” will be served daily from 7:00 a.m. through 11:00 a.m. for our guests who prefer lighter, and later, fare. The well-rounded menu includes an assortment of seasonal fresh fruits and juices, fruit and plain yogurt and a choice of three cereal varieties. A deli platter features a selection cold cuts and cheese. Varieties of breads baked daily here by our staff include whole wheat and white loaves, plaited Antiguan bread, sweet currant buns and croissants. Banana bread, muffins, scones, cinnamon rolls, tea cakes and Danish round out the menu and of course our delicious coffee and a selection of teas will be served.
Our new “Healthy Choice” continental breakfast is in addition to the full Hemispheres Breakfast Buffet served daily from 7:00 a.m. through 10:00 a.m. The menu at Hemispheres includes “Healthy Choice” options as well as made-to-order eggs and omelets, sausages, bacon and more.
The “Get Into the Beach of It” program launched in January and is focused on giving our guests even more fun fitness and healthy lifestyle choices while vacationing and includes our first Insane Beach Body Boot Camp, April 25-29. April is Health and Fitness Month and we encourage you to start your even healthier habits today. Why wait?
February 27th, 2013
We’re counting down to our first Insane Beach Body Boot Camp, April 25-29, 2013. And while we know that as fabulous as this intensive five-day program is — Socarobics on the beach, 10-mile walk/runs, fitness challenges — fitness and exercise needs to be a regular part of our lives. Participating in our Boot Camp is a great way to get inspired. Still need convincing? Take a look at some of the determined people who have embraced the insanity.
February 22nd, 2013
According to the Antigua and Barbuda Meteorological Service, Antigua’s normal daily high for March and April averages 85F/29C. So plan to celebrate spring break, St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, April Fool’s Day, Passover — any day in March and April on our Best Beach by a Mile here in Antigua. Temperatures are going to rise with all-inclusive rates starting at just $US99.00 per person, per night during our Spring Fever 72-hour offer from 12:00 noon EST today, Friday February 22 to 12:00 noon EST Monday February 25, 2013. And you can travel anytime March 1-April 30, 2013.
February 6th, 2013
Welcome to the Beach Blogger. We’re looking forward to letting you know what’s new and happening here at Jolly Beach Resort & Spa and in beautiful Antigua and Barbuda.
Kicking off 2013 we created the “Get Into the Beach of It” fitness program. According to Statistic Brain the Top 10 New Year’s Resolutions included Staying Fit and Healthy at #5 and Lose Weight in the #1 spot. Of course these aren’t always top priorities on a vacation, whether we plan to or not most of us end up take a little vacation from our health and fitness routines. But our first activity program is sure to get you up and working out. It’s absolutely insane!
That’s right; we’re going to boot your body into shape at our “Insane Boot Camp.” it’s not just jumping jacks on the beach. Led by former military instructors, this fun and invigorating 5 days of activities include a 12-mile hike up Mount Obama and a 10-mile hike to the famous outlook, Shirley Heights. What a way to see the sights and panoramic views of Antigua. We’ll get you out on the beach for those jumping jacks and more, Socarobics, the ultimate full-body cardio workout to the Caribbean’s hottest Soca music, and an Insane Fitness Challenge.
Plan to be here April 25-29, 2013, August 2-8 or November 15-19. There is a registration fee of US$150.00 to take part in the five-day workout which also includes a boot camp shirt and water bottle, a welcome cocktail and a therapeutic 30-minute massage.
So come join us for some fun-in-the-sun, and when you head home those tan muscles will be a terrific souvenir to show off.
Jolly Beach Resort & Spa’s mile-long beach is a heavenly setting for a devil of a workout for the beginning of this Insane program which also shows off the scenic side of Antigua guests otherwise might not get to see.
The five-day Insane Boot Camp fitness program challenges “campers” to push their mental and physical limits embrace the aches and pains and come back for more.