Queen Of Carnival
Antigua Carnival – this is one holiday that ALL Antiguans look forward to with high expectations. Why? Because it’s a time of year when everybody lets their hair down and focuses exclusively on having fun! The carnival is a celebration of music, dance, and food – an 11 day festival of vibrant costumes, beauty pageants, talent shows, and really great music. Think New Orleans’ Mardi Gras, but with a Calypso rhythm.
Popular Carnival Events
- The Queen of Carnival is always chosen by popular applause after several competitions, including those for evening gown, talent, swimsuit, interview, and best costume. The show is the most prestigious and coveted pageant title in Antigua and Barbuda, and local talent for design and pageantry is especially evident in these competitions.
- Local Steel Drum Bands, typically comprised by neighbourhoods, will also compete, going all out to win a monetary prize. The bands also play during the parade, accompanied by their krewes, groups of followers wearing costumes that they have designed and sewn themselves. Some of these costumes are very elaborate and costly.
- Children’s Events: two popular children’s events include the Jr. Calypso Competition and the Children’s Carnival Parade. The crowd often goes wild with enthusiasm and support for the kids during both of these events.
When You Need a Break
Spicy and rhythmic, with a rainbow of colors, Antigua Carnival is a great way to get a taste of the local culture, but if you want a break from the festivities, come on back to Jolly Beach Resort & Spa for a bit of down time.
Lounge on a world-class beach (Antigua’s best) or splash around in protected turquoise waters, grab a drink poolside and dive into a great novel, or simply avoid the lines at Carnival for savory Jerk chicken and other scrumptious meals in one of our resort’s 5 on-site restaurants.
You can even drop your kids off at the Jolly Kidz Club or Jolly Teenz Club, both offering a full schedule of activities your kids will love, while you go out and enjoy some Carnival time on your own.
Simply click to Book Online or call our reservations department to book your stay during Antigua Carnival.
- USA & Canada: 1-866-905-6559
- UK & Europe: 00-800-1-235-6559
But hurry – rooms go on a first come, first served basis and you wouldn’t want to miss the Caribbean’s greatest summer festival!